Monday, May 26, 2014

Writing For The Kingdom of God

by Dorothy Johnson. 

As someone living her own redemption story, I see God’s merciful hand everyday of my life. Plus, I have a teacher’s heart, so I find spiritual applications in everything. Our job as Christian writers is to recognize these God Moments, commit them to paper and share them with a hurting world. I’ve been thinking about some of the principles involved with that process.
Writing Requires Discipline
            I’m retired and have lots of free time. Even so, I often
 procrastinate through busyness. I find a million things to do instead of working on that partially finished novel. I like immediate gratification, so it’s easier to concentrate on shorter pieces than develop a believable plot and characters true to the Gospel. Consequently, my book languishes.
            Soon we’ll be going to Navarre Beach for a couple of weeks, where I plan to work on that novel. It’s my summer priority. If you find it easier to concentrate on more challenging work away from home, the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Educational Center in Piggott and the Writers' Colony at Dairy Hollow in Eureka Springs offer some opportunities to get away and write. I go to both places, usually once a year.
My Writing Process
            When I start my day by reading scripture and spending time in reflection and prayer, I’m at my best. Sometimes a devotional will spring from what I’ve read, but just as often, an idea that’s been percolating takes shape. It may begin with a single line of poetry, or an outline might unfold almost like a lesson plan. No matter how it comes, it’s more likely to have eternal value because I’ve spent time in God’s Word.
            I try to capture these thoughts in a journal in what I call daily writing practice. Often what I write there becomes a first draft. But true commitment comes when I type it into my computer. Even then, there’s work to be done because the first draft is never worthy of publication.
            Maybe because I worked as an editor, I actually enjoy the editing process. I find satisfaction in trimming away the nonessential, trading a phrase for the best word to convey a thought. I try to wait at least a few hours or overnight to let it get cold. When I go back to it, I always see more ways to tighten the copy and make it better. A fully polished manuscript goes through this process multiple times.
Take an Unbiased Approach
            Like any creative endeavor, our writing is a part of us, which can make every thought, line and word feel important. However, we need to get over that feeling and buy into the editing process. If a line, a phrase or even one word is repetitive or doesn’t contribute to the central thought, get rid of it or save it for something else. It makes the final product better.
Don’t Hide Your Work Under a Bushel
            I confess I’m shy about submitting my work, partly because of insecurity, but also because it takes effort to find the right place to send it. However, I’m working on that. This year, I’ve submitted several devotionals, poems and a story to some faith-based publications. I recently learned that several of my devotionals will be included on a new website that will launch in the near future. That’s exciting. I’ll keep you posted.
I encourage you to take advantage of contests. When two of my submissions placed in our writing contests last year, I found the confidence to polish and send them to a couple of publications.
Let God Draw Your Readership
            When I think about readership, I remind myself of a wise comment Tracey Eyster made in a presentation on blogging. My writing won’t appeal to everyone, but my true audience will find me. I want to trust the Holy Spirit to connect work done by His inspiration to those who need to read it. Consequently, I try not to pay attention to who or how many people read my blog or even if I win a contest. I must keep writing.
Called to Faithfulness
            I also admonish myself to remember that I am called to be faithful. God’s definition of success for me may look different from the world’s view of success. I pray for wisdom to recognize that truth and accept it.
            Writing can be a lonely pursuit, but it need not be so. When we gather each month at the Little Rock American Christian Writers meeting, we have the opportunity to give and receive God’s encouragement through one another. Come. Join us. Let us press on to give Him our best efforts and then rest in His love and acceptance.
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Phil. 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment